Backloggery sig

Tuesday 13 January 2015

The Blackwell Legacy

One of my clearest memories of childhood is of sitting in front of the family Amiga, with a huge stack of floppy disks next to me, playing The Secret of Monkey Island 2.  Obviously, I played the first game too, but that came on a mere four disks.  The sequel came on eleven, and you never forgot it, especially when you misclicked an exit and had to change disks to load the room you didn't even want to go into.

I was obsessed with point and click adventures, and playing The Blackwell Legacy immediately gave me a pleasant feeling of familiarity.  The art style is very much influenced by Lucasarts, and for the most part the puzzle design is cut from the same cloth.  Even when I found myself resorting to using everything in my inventory (or notebook of clues) with everything else, I had a nostalgic smile on my face.

The writing is smart, and the story had me hooked straight away.  The game did a good job of wrapping up its story without overstaying its welcome, and has definitely got me interested in playing the rest of the series. I've got the first three Blackwell games in my backlog, and looking at the developer's Wikipedia page I'm pleased to see a couple more games on there that I own.  I'm looking forward to finding out a lot more about the Blackwell family, so I imagine the sequel will be up next. 

No comments:

Post a Comment