Backloggery sig

Saturday 24 January 2015

Noitu Love 2: Devolution

I played through all three currently available acts of Kentucky Route Zero yesterday, but that needs time to percolate before I can write anything other than "it was brilliant".

A palate cleanser, that's what I needed.  Noitu Love 2 is 2 hours of manic, SNES era homage, combining excellent brawling, shooting, and some fantastic boss design.  Crushing a robotic orchestra conductor with giant piano hammers is something I'll remember for a while.

I expected the controls to be awkward, forcing you to use the keyboard and mouse for a game straight out of a traditionally joypad-only genre.  In practice, it works perfectly.  Clicking an enemy to not only hit them, but to dash to their location anywhere on screen means that the rank and file mooks turn into grapple points for zipping around the level.  You can go an awfully long time in this game without ever touching the floor.

The story is pleasingly nonsensical, and the game finished just as my clicking finger was getting tired.  Great stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment